We are a small craft brewery in Conroe, Texas (North Houston area) that is known for our creative beer styles and unique taproom setting. We hold quality above everything else we do. We need a Head Brewer to continue our success in offering exciting, one-of-a-kind beers for our guests to enjoy. The Head Brewer oversees all aspects of beer production from grain to glass.
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization, and record-keeping ability
- High standards for quality and creativity
- Loves being creative and independent while also being a great collaborator
- Thrives in leadership roles and has a strong sense of how to be a positive influence with team members
- Prefers hands-on, physically active roles
- Has a strong work ethic with ability to manage their own work schedule
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks to other team members
- Has a passion for craft beer and enjoys participating in local craft beer events
- Understanding that job requirements will fluctuate based on season
Report directly to COO
Manage and perform all brewhouse and beer production operations, including but not limited to; raw material/ingredient purchases, wort production, cellar and packaging tasks, and inventory management/organization.
Manage production schedule based on sales depletion rates from taproom and distribution using Ekos inventory management system. Be the go-to person for all beer inventory needs and requests from other staff. Meticulously track sales volume across all sales avenues using Ekos.
- Create new, exciting recipes on a regular basis while maintaining exceptional consistency throughout our core and seasonal brands. Constantly explore new concepts and ideas for new recipes to keep us on the leading edge of creativity. Always be looking 3 to 6 months ahead of schedule.
- Manage and/or perform all cleaning and sanitation procedures throughout the brewery. Maintain a consistently clean brewing area.
- Maintain all brewery equipment, which includes; two roller mill, two vessel steam brewhouse, HLT, CLT, steam boiler, five 40 bbl cellar tanks, Twin Monkeys Yampa canning line, automatic keg washer, electric forklift, glycol system, air compressor, and draft system in our Taproom.
- Organize cold room on at least a weekly basis to provide taproom and distribution staff access to needed inventory.
- Manage and train part-time brewery staff.
- Provide regular communication with our team about upcoming beer releases and important inventory changes.
- Occasionally support taproom operations during large annual events as well as other duties, as requested.
- Represent B52 at large craft beer events.
Ideal Candidate Skills & Experience:
- 4+ years of experience in a high-level brewing position at a small or mid-size brewery
- 2+ years experience in a management position
- 4+ years experience in recipe formulation of various styles in a professional setting
- Proven ability to detect off-flavors using sensory methods
- Proven understanding of taproom and distribution operations in addition to brewery operations
- Proven knowledge of how to operate and maintain all brewing equipment
- Proficient in web-based tools, such as; Google Sheets, Google Docs.
- Experience operating a forklift is preferred
- Experience using Ekos inventory system is preferred
- Formal brewing education, training, and/or certifications.
- High school degree required; Associates or Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time, lift up to 55 pounds, and maneuver up to 165 pounds.
- Must be able to work in the Texas summer heat for long periods of time.
- Must be at least 21 years old
Job Type: Full-time
Schedule: Monday through Friday and occasionally weekends for events
Pay & Benefits:
- Annual Salary of $50,000 - $55,000 commensurate with experience
- Employer Subsidized Health Insurance
- Paid Leave: Vacation time, sick time, holidays
- Employee discount